Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day of the Dead Matchbox


I wanted to share my latest project I did for a craft swap I participated in. This was a matchbox swap where I had to decorate a small matchbox and fill it with either handcrafted items or craft supplies. I made a Day of the Dead matchbox for my partner and decided to fill it with goodies I made. The words "Dia de los Muertos" is painted on the front which means "Day of the Dead" is spanish. For those of you unfamiliar with the holiday here is a link to learn more about it! Anyhow, here is the box in all its painted (acrylic to be exact) glory.






Now onto the contents. I made a black and white sugar skull out of felt, embroidery thread, and beads. I added a small brooch pin to the back. I based the design off of one I saw here. The whole thing was just about twice as large as a quarter. My fingers hurt after making this!! So much tiny hand sewing!




I also made two refrigerator magnets out of felt to match the theme. They were about the size of a quarter (super tiny!!) The first was another sugar skull based on a design I saw here.


The second magnet was a sacred heart design that I basically came up with from memory. Both are so tiny and smaller than a quarter! For these I used E6000 to glue the felt to the magnets.


4 comments:

Avi said...

wow... thats a nice artwork... and i really understand the complexity when it came to small items. Good eyes...

also you can check my artwork in www.aviliojimenez.com

JenGoPop said...

Nice! I especially like the teeny pins.

Changing in Heels said...

Love your crafting skills. I stumbled across your blog when I was looking up dia de los muertos crafts for an upcoming event.

I'm also on blogger. If you are interested... changinginheels.blogspot ;)

Ms Elaine said...

So beautiful ... I'm going to share you page link on my fb page so others can see your beautiful work